Saturday, December 22, 2007
Throughout the year I keep a notebook handy to jot down various things that I overhear.....movie quotes that strike me and the like. I'm not sure why. I just do. And when I look back on it sometimes I'm not even sure what compelled me to choose them in the first place. But spontaneous choices they were.....so I thought I'd share them with you......
I'd love it if you shared your own favorites with me........
So, in no particular order.....
THINGS THAT STRUCK ME THIS YEAR
1. "What are we supposed to do with that thing with all the words on it?" ~said to me by small child on second day of theatre class. She was referring to the script.
2. "The future is right behind us." ~said by small boy at storytelling birthday gig when I asked where was the future.
3. "Aye. Ye can say anything ye likes long's ye has a smirk on yer gob and a passable accent." ~Merlyn of Merry Mischief
4. "I'm not a big fan of mustard." ~incongruously said by small boy who was upset because his parents were late picking him up. He said they were having hotdogs for supper so I thought to cheer him up by saying pretty soon he'd have a big hot dog with lots of mustard.
From THE BEALES OF GRAY GARDENS
( I adore these docu-movies by the way.......talk about disconnect from reality....they make me look average.....)
5. "She said I was having a nervous breakdown and ought to go to Atlantic City. I'm not that broken down yet!" ~Little Edie
6. "I can't figure out if he's Jimmy or Pinky. Has he got one eye or two?"
(Off screen camera man) "One."
"Then it's Pinky." ~Little Edie
7. "I used to sit out here for hours. Then I found out it annoyed everyone in East Hampton." ~Little Edie
8. "It's the revolutionary costume. I never wear this in East Hampton." ~said by Little Edie while wearing an upsidedown skirt and a sweater on her head.
9. "It's a perfectly enormous cake!" ~Big Edie
AND OTHER VARIOUS MOVIES
10. "I'm sorry. But you don't know Miss Mayor Starks, son. She don't play no checkers."
"She do now." ~from Their Eyes Were Watching God
11. "Eternal damnation for one night with Cazenova? Seems fair." ~from Cazenova
12. "Be the flame....not the moth." from Cazenova
13. "Men. The most absurd of God's creatures." ~from Batman and Robin
14. "I'll bring the wine. You bring your scarred psyche." ~from Batman Forever
15. "Complications arose, ensued and were overcome." ~from PotC2
16. "I do want to know what it tastes like." ~from PotC2
17. "Sometimes the Road Less Traveled is less traveled for a reason." ~Jerry Seinfield
18. "Mister Darcy? I should more easily forgive his vanity had he not wounded mine. But no matter. I doubt we shall ever speak again." ~from Pride and Prejudice
19. "Dear, you cannot invite people to other peoples Balls." ~from Pride and Prejudice
20. "Are you looking for someone?"
"No, not at all. I was just admiring the general splendor." ~from Pride and Prejudice
21. "It would be most inconvenient as I have sworn to loathe him for all eternity. ~from Pride and Prejudice
22. "You have bewitched me body and soul and I love...I love....I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on." ~from Pride and Prejudice
And perhaps my favorite of all said by two of my elderly ladies while apparently discussing my hermit existence and apparent lack of man in my life.....
23. "Are you a 'lespian'?
"Of course she's a 'lespian'.....she does theatre."
And there, but for the Grace of the Goddess, go I.............
Blessed 2008 Luvs......pirate on.......